Whilst the Gangs of Sherwood found their initial march to an October release delayed a little, they finally rock up in the lands of Xbox, PlayStation and PC. The question is: are you ready to lead the rebellion?
Available right now on Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 5 and PC is Gangs of Sherwood. A multiplayer cooperative affair from the stables of Appeal Studios and Nacon, this is a new reimagining of the old Robin Hood tale. And yes, you may see that we have failed to include Xbox One and PS4 in that list of formats, and that’s for good reason. This is a current-gen only player.
The usual gang
In Gangs of Sherwood you get to play as some of the most iconic of characters. Robin Hood is front and centre of this narrative, joined along the way by Marian, Friar Tuck and Little John. Combined they come together to rob from the rich, all in order to save the poor. Standard Robin stuff, eh?
- Robin Hood: Legendary archer who can reach enemies from afar and trick them with the different special arrows he possesses.
- Little John: Reformed royal knight and a tenacious pugilist with a fiery right hook.
- Maid Marian: Fearless assassin of noble birth who prowls around the battlefield waiting for the right time to strike.
- Friar Tuck: Monk who can protect his allies with his massive magnetic shield barrier and heal them with his famous mead.
What’s not so standard is how things play out. Gangs of Sherwood promises to be pretty explosive, as up to four players join forces to defeat the Sheriff of Nottingham, working through Sherwood Forest as they go. With each character coming with their own unique playstyle, abilities, combat offerings and more, it’s one that could well excite.
Upgrades come to the fore the more you play. As do devastating combos and the chance to pull off a ton of strategic and tactical moves.
In fact, the key features of Gangs of Sherwood include all of the following…
- LEAD THE REBELLION – Play as Robin, Marian, Friar Tuck or Little John, four heroes with unique, customizable gameplay styles, and set out to rob the rich so you can free the people. From Sherwood Forest to the Sheriff’s flying castle, formidable enemies will stand in your way. Combine the different heroes’ combat styles to foil the tyrant’s plans and fight performance-enhanced soldiers, formidable war machines and terrifying bosses that you meet as you advance.
- ROB THE RICH TO GIVE TO THE POOR… AND TO EQUIP YOURSELF! – Improve your reputation by saving innocent lives in order to unlock new upgrades and even more devastating combos. Spend your hard-earned gold with merchants to upgrade your equipment and customize your skills to match your combat style.
- CO-OP ACTION FOR UP TO 4 PLAYERS – Land more and more impressive combos and cooperate with the other members of your team to achieve ultra-satisfying combos. Meet up with your friends in your hideout and determine the best strategy to adopt before setting off on missions, then put it to the test on the field of battle.
Play Gangs of Sherwood on Xbox now
The official street release of Gangs of Sherwood is November 30th. But should you wish to gain some 72 hours early access, you can do so right now. A purchase of the Gangs of Sherwood – Lionheart Edition allows just that, ensuring you can get playing today. It’ll set you back £54.99 and also includes a host of cosmetic extras, a digital artbook and soundtrack.
- Lionheart Skin Set: Proudly sport the colours of King Richard the Lionheart in your crusade against the usurper oppressing England. This set contains 4 exclusive outfit, armour and weapon designs for the game’s heroes.
- Alan-a-Dale Alternative Skin: The band’s minstrel and puppeteer has more than one costume up his sleeve. He will look his best each time you meet during the adventure and in your hideout.
- Digital Artbook: Dive into the science-fantasy world of Gangs of Sherwood by leafing through this booklet full of exclusive illustrations of the game and details about the revisited legend.
- Digital Soundtrack: Listen to the game’s soundtrack whenever you want
If you prefer to hold to the 30th, the standard edition of the game comes in with a £44.99 asking price. That extra tenner is probably worth it, no? Whichever you choose, hit the Xbox Store.
Stay tuned for our full review of Gangs of Sherwood as we play through things on Xbox Series X|S. And don’t forget to let us know your thoughts in the comments.
Gangs of Sherwood on Xbox Game Description
Gangs of Sherwood is an explosive action game for 1 to 4 players set in the reimagined world of Robin Hood.
Through the powers of the Philosopher’s Stones, the armies of the Sheriff of Nottingham are now stronger than ever, and the people of England have never been so oppressed…