Cyber Monday is all about saving money right now. Not later, when you’ve saved up again to splurge on holiday gifts. That’s why I’m not a huge fan of Apple’s penchant for offering Apple Gift Cards instead of discounts. More frustrating, still, Apple further muddies the waters by offering free engravings. If you ask me, that’s not worth it, either.
To be clear, Apple’s Cyber Monday Deals gift cards, which range from $50 / £50 to as much as $250 / £250 for a Macbook Pro, are nothing to sneeze at. Even so, friends and family have asked me the same question that’s been nagging at me since Black Friday: “Why not a real discount?”
I explain that Apple is so hell-bent on you buying more Apple products that it likes to stack the odds in its favor by handing you a gift card that can only be used with Apple.
Today, though, someone pointed out that not only does Apple offer a $50 gift card off its excellent AirPods Pro 2, “but they throw in free engraving!”
I stared back at them with hard-set eyes and a frown. “And what good is that in the end, really?”
My point was, what is that engraving really worth? Yes, there’s a moment of joy when someone looks down at their personalized Apple gift and sees letters gently etched just for them. Now, instead of just words, we can add emojis. Doesn’t that sound like fun?
It does, but I don’t think the engravings make it worth skipping one of the true $199 AirPods Pro 2 deals you can get at Amazon, Walmart, or Best Buy.
Why don’t engravings turn me on?
The very first iPad I gave my wife, almost a decade ago, was engraved to her with something silly, “Mom’s iPad. No you touchy.” I know, I am so funny
Where is that iPad today? I have no idea. She’s since moved on to her second one and is probably due for another iPad upgrade shortly.
My kids’ broken and long-ago discarded iPods also had their names engraved on them.
My point is, you’re giving up cash discounts for personalization that, in the long run, won’t matter much at all. AirPods Pro 2 will eventually stop accepting a charge or, a couple of years from now, you’ll upgrade to AirPods Pro 3. Are you recycling the personalized AirPods case? When you buy a new one, do you repeat the engraving?
Overall, I think Apple doesn’t quite get the spirit of Cyber Monday, Black Friday, and the whole Holiday Shopping experience. It’s not just about getting and giving the gifts, it’s about the gamesmanship of saving money. Who doesn’t love to tell people about how much they saved on a PS5, an iPhone 14, Sonos Beam, or AirPods Pro 2? No one talks in gift cards and even fewer add, “But at least I got it engraved.”
Check out the Cyber Monday deals below:
More US Cyber Monday deals
- Amazon: 50% off TVs, Apple Watch, clothing, vacuums, and toys (opens in new tab)
- Apple AirPods 2: on sale for $234 at Amazon (opens in new tab)
- Best Buy: up to $700 off TVs, laptops, appliances, and more (opens in new tab)
- Cheap TVs: $79.99 smart TVs from Best Buy (opens in new tab)
- Christmas decor: up to 54% off trees, garlands, and wreaths (opens in new tab)
- Dell: laptops from $299.99 (opens in new tab)
- Gifts ideas: 40% off holiday gifts for the family from Amazon (opens in new tab)
- Home Depot: 50% off tools, major appliances, and holiday decor (opens in new tab)
- Lowe’s: up to $750 off appliances, Christmas decor and tools (opens in new tab)
- Overstock: 70% off holiday decor, furniture, and Christmas trees (opens in new tab)
- Nectar: save up to $500 on mattresses, plus $499 in free gifts (opens in new tab)
- Nordstrom: up to 50% off UGG, makeup, Nike, jewelry, and more (opens in new tab)
- Samsung: up to $2,500 TVs, major appliances, and smartwatches (opens in new tab)
- Target: 45% off toys, Christmas decor, coffee makers, and more (opens in new tab)
- Toys: up to 50% off best-selling toys at Walmart (opens in new tab)
- Verizon: get the iPhone 14 Pro for free with trade-in (opens in new tab)
- Walmart: toys, TVs, vacuums, and laptops starting at $19.99 (opens in new tab)
- Wayfair: up to 80% off couches, rugs, and more, plus free shipping (opens in new tab)
More UK Cyber Monday deals
- Amazon: up to 60% off TVs, laptops, and more (opens in new tab)
- Adidas: up to 50% off trainers and clothing (opens in new tab)
- AO: deals on appliances, headphones and TVs (opens in new tab)
- Argos: up to 1/3 off toys (opens in new tab)
- B&Q: 25% of Christmas decorations and tools (opens in new tab)
- Boots: half-price fragrances and make-up (opens in new tab)
- Box: up to £1,000 off TVs, laptops and PCs (opens in new tab)
- Currys: 40% off TVs, laptops and vacuums (opens in new tab)
- Dell: up to 45% off laptops and desktops (opens in new tab)
- Disney: 30% off Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar (opens in new tab)
- Dyson: best-price guarantee on vacuums and hair care (opens in new tab)
- EE: unlimited data SIMs from £14 per month (opens in new tab)
- Game: consoles, games and accessories from £4.99 (opens in new tab)
- Ikea: Christmas tree + £10 voucher for £25
- John Lewis: up to 40% off tech, fashion and home (opens in new tab)
- Lego: popular sets from under £10 – plus free gifts (opens in new tab)
- Ninja: save up to £90 on air fryers and pans (opens in new tab)
- Peloton: up to £500 off
- Reebok: up to 50% off sitewide (opens in new tab)
- Samsung: up to £250 off phones and tablets (opens in new tab)
- Shark: up to £220 off cordless vacuum cleaners (opens in new tab)
- Sonos: 20% off portable speakers and soundbars (opens in new tab)
- Very: offers on TVs, Lego and fashion (opens in new tab)
- Virgin: broadband deals from £25 per month (opens in new tab)
- Wayfair: furniture, lighting and mattress deals (opens in new tab)